Sunday, March 29, 2009

Live From the Market #2 (Pendergrass)

Every market is different.

It's a simple statement, but it is remarkably true.

I am sitting in the food court of the Pendergrass Flea Market in the city of Pendergrass in the County of Jackson, Georgia and it is packed. I am tucked into a corner, which is anything but quiet. Getting to an open table took some good navigating skills, there are people everywhere.

I got here 3 hours ago with the intention to see a few vendors I know and get there take on the state of business, but at 3pm, I'm just now getting a chance to sit down.

I should have known it was going to be like this because when I pulled off of exit 137 on I-85, there was a line of cars waiting to get into the market and the parking lot was full. I only saw one coach bus, but was not able to find out where they came from. However, that one bus is just a drop in the bucket of the number of people here today. If I had to guess, I'd say there are at least 18,000 people here today.
Last time I actually sold here was February 2008 and did well, but there was nowhere as near this many people here.

Yesterday I was in Englishtown Flea Market in New Jersey and I doubt there were 5,000 people all day. In Englishtown I could have walk through the entire market in 15 minutes, here, I haven't even began to walk and I'm tired.

I don't know if all the vendors here are doing good business, but anyone selling food is doing great. From Mama King's Pizza to The Chicken Ranch to Jugos Naturales and all the Nacho vendors, and the lady selling cotton candy, and the boiled peanuts guy, they seem to be doing well.

I spoke with David, who sells Hip-Hop inspired t-shirts and designer jeans, and he confirms that today is especially busy. However, not for the items he carries. His business has been on the decline since last year, so he's considering changing what he carries. He's leaning towards food. Despite what the economy is doing, people eat, and here in particular, people are eating foods that are native to them.

The Mexican family sitting beside me is having Jarritos (soda - Guayabana), nachos, and some sort of puffy chips. The father (Luis), is having a sandwich of pulled pork, beef, ham, & wieners, on a bun with lettuce tomatoes, sauce, and jalapeƱos. That's a little too much meat for my pallet, but to each is own. Maybe I'll try the Chicarrones con cueritos......maybe not, Luis just told me what it was. Fried pigskin dressed with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, salsa, and queso (cheese). Yeah, I'll pass.

According to David, most of the people here on the weekends are Mexicans who work at farms, factories, and chicken processing plants in the area. Saturday and/or Sunday is the one day they get off, so coming to Pendergrass is a way to spend time with the family and get some authentic food from back home.

Sergio, from outside Mexico City, and his wife Sandra are here for the first time as spice vendors. Sergio has sold other products before, but has ventured into the chili business. If you are looking for dried Mexican Ancho chilies, Guajillo chilies, fragrant Chipotles, Pasillas, or hot red chilis, he has them in stock. Check them out at booth #18 on Ave 7 West.

Yared, of Ethiopia, said that today would be his last day at Pendergrass because the items he carries, jeans and designer t-shirts are not selling well here. He has tried other markets in Georgia, but does better near downtown Atlanta where more African Americans and Caribbean buyers are available.

Flea markets are funny places. On the left you could have a vendor with lines in front of his booth, on the right you could have a vendor who packs up early because there are no takers for what he's selling.

Every market is different.

Each has its own character, its own feels, and its own main attraction. Here at Pendergrass it's definitely the food..........and the live entertainment, never mind that I don't understand the tongue in which it is being sung.

Come out for yourself and see what's going on at Pendergrass Flea Market, "Georgia's Largest."

For vendors, booth rental is expensive, but for shoppers, it's paradise.

-FMN

No comments:

Post a Comment